Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Em at the E.M.






Em came out to visit us this weekend and we had a great time.  Even though we missed the rest of her family it was fun to go places with just the two of us.  So, thanks Matt and Vince for taking over the kids!!!  After I picked her up from her red-eye flight, we headed into DC and went to the Eastern Market.  (It is not ideal for large families so we haven't gone there in a while.)  The market building had a big fire not long ago and they are rebuilding it, but everyone was still set up around it just like normal.  They have built a temporary building for the businesses that used to be inside.  
We went in to eat breakfast at The Market Lunch.  The lady gave Emily that hardest time about her order.  It went something like this:
Em:  "I'll have the Two Egg Plate and an order of French Toast" (which comes with potatoes and toast per their sign)(Em and I were planning on sharing the french toast, in case you are wondering why Emily was ordering such a big breakfast.)
cashier:  "Do you want anything with the eggs?"
Em:  "Doesn't it come with potatoes and toast?"
cashier:  "The Egg Plate comes with potatoes and toast."
Em:  "Yes, that's what I want"
cashier:  "Just two eggs with french toast?"
Em:  "No, the eggs with potatoes and toast and an order of french toast."
cashier:  "If you want the Egg Plate, it comes with potatoes and toast but if you want eggs with french toast that is different."
This went on for a few more circles until she got it figured out.  I ordered second so I made sure I said it loud and clear.  Then when we got down the line, this lady was looking at us and shouting out orders.  I thought she was talking to us so I waved my hand as if to say "that's our order" but she wasn't talking to us.  She was yelling at her cooks.  I thought she was funny so I snapped a picture as sneakily as I could.  
After breakfast we walked all over the market looking at jewelry, art, produce, and flowers.  Then we headed to the National Gallery, and after that we got a little lunch in Shirlington.  I can't even remember the last time Em and I did something like that-it was really fun!





To see some lovely shots of Em go over to my photo blog!

5 comments:

Sue said...

Our first year there we live in D.C.--literally right across the street from Eastern Market. You're making me sooooo homesick! Looks like fun.

Hillary Garner said...

Sounds like so much fun! Wish I could have been there:( That picture of that lady makes me laugh...sweet Emily being harrassed!

Hilary said...

how fun that you got to spend time together without kids! You guys deserve it!

Andrea S. said...

I'm so glad Emily was able to come out and have a fun filled weekend with you. I love the picture of the lady taking her order-it totally adds to the story.

Merrill Family said...

Britt, I had such a great time coming to visit. I love that you got the shot of the purple lip lady, she was so funny. I hope to come out again, and be able to bring the kids too. They would love it.