Saturday, October 9, 2010

I made a HEADBOARD!

I have been wanting a headboard for our guest room for such a long time and so I decided on this Ana White design.  She is amazing and inspiring!
This is my first building project and it made me want to build all sorts of furniture.  This was a good project to start with because it was very forgiving.  The distressed finish hid my nail gun mistakes and it wasn't too complex.  I wish I took more pictures of the whole process but I was too excited about getting it done.  I did it in three days thanks to my friend Debbie who came and helped me on two of the days.  It was nice to have an extra brain on the job to make sure it was done correctly and nice to have extra hands to help hold things together.
I made it out of inexpensive pine boards.  My total cost was around $80-$90 dollars but I have a lot of nails left over for other projects.  You can find the plans here.
All the panels in place and back support nailed in.
The distressing on the front.  I chiseled the edges on all the boards so they would look old and worn.  Spence helped me hammer little holes and other dents too.
Clamping the top board and ready to finish the building.
The finished headboard in our guest room!



I made one change in using a 2x4 for the cap so it would look weightier.  There was one tiny glitch and I still haven't figured out if I did something wrong or if our bed frames are an odd size.  Our frame didn't match up with the headboard legs so we had to do some creative attaching, but it all worked out and we love it!
We got it ready just in time for some fall visitors.  Can't wait to show them.

1 comment:

Hillary Garner said...

Ahhhh! I love it Britt! It turned out so well and I love the whole makeover!