Thursday, August 27, 2009

2

Andrea introduced me to this blog which I love to follow because we share a lot of the same interests and she has a house full of boys. I've tried several of her recipes and have liked them. If you go to her blog for this recipe you will see lots of pictures showing you the different stages. Hers turned out much prettier than mine, probably due to a few things. When I got to the part where you put in the curry, I opened my cupboard and I had no curry. I always have curry. So I checked the food storage hoping I had some and I couldn't find any so I had to run to the store because I couldn't make curry without curry and I couldn't give up and fix a different dinner because I was too far into it. Plus it was already 8:00. I know that it really late to eat but I have been painting my basement so everything has been off.

The other reason mine was different is because I added some carrots because I love carrots in curry. So I had to add a little extra chicken broth because the carrots had to cook longer and there wasn't enough broth.

I liked this recipe and would make it again. Maybe a little spicier and maybe just over rice. The apples and raisins are a nice sweet touch and the orange zest too.


Spicy Curried Chicken with Couscous

4 small chicken breast halves (boneless, skinless)
2 tsp. vegetable oil
1/4 tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. vegetable oil
1 C. chopped, unpeeled apple
1/2 C. chipped onion
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 tsp. curry powder
2 tsp. orange zest
1 C. chicken broth
1/4 C. raisins
1 Tbsp. corn starch
1/4 C. cold water
2 C. hot, cooked couscous

Remove excess fat from chicken; cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. Heat 2 tsp. oil in 10 inch non-stick skillet until hot. Cook and stir chicken, salt and cayenne pepper in oil over medium heat until chicken is done, about 5 minutes; remove chicken.
Add 1 tsp. oil, the apple, onion, garlic, curry powder, and orange zest;

Cook and stir until apple is tender, about 7 minutes.

Stir in chicken broth, raisins and chicken. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.

Mix cornstarch and water; stir into chicken mixture.

Boil and stir one minute till thickened.

Serve on couscous.


I'm so happy that people have neat blogs to borrow ideas from. Thanks!

3 comments:

kelly said...

Carrots are a great idea! I think I'll add them next time too.

kelly said...

Carrots are a great idea! I think I'll add them next time too.

Andrea S. said...

Glad I could help you out. This recipe has been on my to try list for a while now. I think I'll add it to the menu this month.