Sunday, September 13, 2009

3

Ok, so I'm a little behind but I'm not going to let this stress me out. Tonight I made Zucchini Brownies because first of all I wanted something chocolaty and second, I have several LARGE Zucchinis waiting to be use around here.

This recipe is from a Philadelphia friend, so if any of you Philly friends out there ever read my blog, give me a holler. It is about time I heard from some of you. Seriously though, we loved our time in Philadelphia and I miss it exquisitely sometimes. While there we compiled a Philly cookbook and I still use many of the recipes. Having certain foods take me back and remind of the friend who made it. Like having Michelle's Herbed Bread or Jodie's Spinach Dip or Janet's Coconut Shrimp or Margel's Hearty Mexican Soup or Janna's beautiful pies. You can thank Michelle Bishop for this recipe. I've been meaning to try this recipe for years now and I'm glad to have a little garden to supply me with zucchinis. I'll have to use this more often, especially because brownies with that much zucchini in them MUST be healthy!

1 1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1 egg
2 tsp. vanilla
2 c. flour
3/4 c. cocoa
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
2 1/2 c. grated zucchini

Cream sugar, oil, egg and vanilla. Add remaining ingredients. Spray cookie sheet and spread batter out on it. Bake 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees.

(I doubled the recipe and made them in a jelly roll pan.)

p.s. Don't beat them too much, mine were a little more like cake than brownies, but still good.


3 comments:

Katie Pettey said...

I read your blog this morning and decided this is what I wanted to make with the giant zucchini my neighbor gave me. I also doubled it. I just took a bite of a warm brownie - really good. Thanks for the recipe. I love what you are doing. Maybe you'll inspire me to break out a few new recipes myself. Also, I love all the pics of your boys!

Janna said...

I still use all those recipes you compiled too! So many of them are favorites - and you're right - a great way to remember old friends.

Andrea S. said...

So good! Makes me sad we had to leave behind our zucchini plant in Utah. Maybe someday I'll have giant homegrown zucchini's again-and when I do you better believe I'll be making some brownies.